Disposable Respirators – Donning & Doffing
How to Apply – Donning
You have just purchased a pack of disposable respirator masks certified and rated to do the job at hand. Now for the mask to work effectively you need to properly fit the respirator to your face. Follow our simple donning instructions to achieve an effective seal on common disposable respirators.
Position the respirator in the palm of your hand with the nose strip at your fingertips, ensuring both head straps are untwisted over the back of your hand.
Open both the top and bottom panels of the mask and make a bend in the foam nose seal. Place the lower panel under the chin and the upper panel with the foam nose seal over the nose bridge and underneath the eyes.
Holding the respirator with one hand, position the top untwisted head strap to the crown of the head.
Draw the lower untwisted head strap up and over the face to below the ears and back of the neck. DO NOT CRISS CROSS HEADSTRAPS.
With both hands, mould the foam nose seal at the top of the mask to the nose bridge and cheeks ensuring a secure fit and seal.
Perform a fit check (see fit check list below). Cover the front of the respirator with both hands. Inhale and exhale sharply.
Fit Check List
- If air leaks at the nose or cheek areas adjust the foam nose seal until a seal is achieved.
- If air leaks around the edge of the respirator adjust the head straps and reposition the mask until a seal is achieved.
- A successful fit check is when there is no air leakage.
- Always fit check before entering the work area.
- If a successful fit check cannot be achieved, remove and refit the respirator.
- If you still cannot obtain a successful fit check, do not enter the work area.
How to Remove – Doffing
Did you know that removing your mask safely is just as important to your safety as fitting your mask? Your mask may be contaminated and you will need to avoid touching the mask when removing it. To avoid contamination following the following doffing instructions.
The respirator may be contaminated. Touch only the head straps when removing.
Pull the bottom strap over the top of the head.
Pull the top strap over the top of the head.
Dispose of respirator into the appropriate waste receptacle in accordance with site infection control and prevention policies.
Wash and sanitise your hands thoroughly.
- A fit check must be performed prior to using your disposable respirator.
- Always read the disposable respirator wearer instructions.
- Should air leakage occur at respirator edges, adjust the fit to eradicate leakage & perform the above fit check.
- Should air leakage occur around the nose, adjust the nose/cheek support strip to eradicate the leakage & perform the above fit check.
- When an appropriate fit & seal cannot be achieved do not enter the hazardous environment & follow on-site policy referencing AS/NZS 1716: 2012.
To achieve an optimum facial seal, the wearer should be clean-shaven. It is recommended the wearer be fit tested prior to use in accordance with AS/NZS 1715: 2009 and/or onsite requirements. Training on the safe use and limitations of the disposable face mask must be performed in accordance with AS/NZS 1715: 2009 section 2.4.